Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Google Chrome? (Read 29562 times)
FatalError
Ex Member
Re: Google Chrome?
Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2010 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Jerry, you're the best. Thanks for including chromium. This is very good news.
I really have the feeling BookMacster is heading in a clear direction (namely simplifying it's usage). And I absolutely think that is the way to go. Will do some more testing when I find the time.

UPDATE: Just to let you know that 1.1.9 did a flawless job in sorting all my Firefox bookmarks and syncing them to Firefox, Firefox (jondofox), Safari and Chromium.
That is the first time this happened after the initial setup and that means you did a great job. Keep going in that direction.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2010 at 6:05pm by »  

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #26 - Sep 1st, 2010 at 4:17am
Print Post  
?ô wrote on Aug 29th, 2010 at 1:18pm:
Just started testing 1.1 beta and finding that chromium didn't make it to the supported browsers list.  Cry

Could you include that? You mentioned it would be mostly copy & pasting the chrome code.
Actually, it turned out to be factoring most of it into a base class and then splitting the constants struct into separate subclasses for "Chrome" and "Chromium".  Took 45 minutes to do the work and 10 minutes to test it.

So, proving that the squeaky wheel gets oiled, you've got it now in 1.1.9.  In Preferences ▸ Update, make sure you're on the Beta (Early Adopter) track and then click Check for Update in the menu.  Maybe you can finish up the testing  Wink, although seriously, if it is truly the same as Chrome except for the application name, bundle identifier, and bookmarks storage path, and it does look that way to me (it even has that stupid "Other Bookmarks" thang at the end of the Bookmarks Bar), it should work.

Now for the – uh – actual news: Version 1.1.9 also has a bunch of bug fixes that seemed to have cleaned up the Dropbox feature.  We've been dropping bookmarks across the lab here all afternoon.  I mean, dropping in the sense of Dropbox, not in the sense of losing them.  So the Dropbox feature is now in beta testing.

Still doesn't open Bookmarkshelf documents from BookMacster 1.0.x, though.

Have fun!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #25 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Just started testing 1.1 beta and finding that chromium didn't make it to the supported browsers list.  Cry

Could you include that? You mentioned it would be mostly copy & pasting the chrome code. This would be awesome. I already mentioned the reasons why I think it is important to include chromium (e.g. saving the world Wink).

Although Chromium is installed I only see:

IP Logged

ockendoner
Reply #24 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on May 3rd, 2010 at 8:16pm:
Now as far as the detail, I disagree with you, especially when I look at the 1Password icons.  Their keychain, the globe, and especially their analog clock are much more detailed than any of our three icons.  The clock shows all twelve hours and a second hand!  I think it's just the yellow that bothers you.

The difference that I see between the 1Password and BookMacster icons is that the BookMacster icons do not look like 'Mac" icons. There is a certain "Mac" familiarity to the design of 1Password, and I would add Transmit to the list, that make adoption of an unfamiliar concept more comfortable, and to my mind, easier.

Just my tuppence worth.

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #23 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
I will. Wink

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #22 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 11:41am
Print Post  
?ô wrote on Jul 16th, 2010 at 9:40am:
So did the chromium support make it into the soon to be seen 1.1 version? Huh
Well, not yet.  It's very easy.  But bugs and the usability fixes are still more important.  If it's not in there initially, keep nagging.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #21 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 9:40am
Print Post  
I know. Lot of OpenSource projects have that problem. Working hours and hours and then having no real distribution or a bad website ect.

So did the chromium support make it into the soon to be seen 1.1 version? Huh

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #20 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
?ô wrote on Jun 9th, 2010 at 3:17pm:
Could you find it?
Yes, but it's not in BookMacster yet because working on the Dropbox syncing feature got in ahead of it.  Since Chromium does seem to be an easy copy and paste from Chrome, we'll probably add "Chromium" support into BookMacster 1.1.  Since there are some significant changes, we'll be running a mini beta test for early adopters of BookMacster 1.1.

Regarding Chromium the Browser, as long as potential users need to scroll through all those folders, find the latest and know to download chrome-mac.zip, not many people are going to use it.  They need the typical fat green arrow that says "Click here dude" or something like that.  Obviously The Chromium Project, whoever they are, is not particularly interested in gaining users.

Anyhow, thanks for the "reminder"  Wink

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #19 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Could you find it?

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #18 - May 21st, 2010 at 11:42am
Print Post  
I thought I had subscribed to this thread, but I didn't get any mail on your new post.

Anyways: here you can find the recent chromium builds for mac.

http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-mac/

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #17 - May 19th, 2010 at 12:33am
Print Post  
FatalError, I'm confused by all the Chromes and Chromiums out there.  Please reply and paste in a link to download the one you're using.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #16 - May 11th, 2010 at 10:10am
Print Post  
I guess that's it. Nice to see suggestions are welcome. Can't wait for those two improvements to be seen in BookMacster sooner or later rather than never.

Good luck with your release and I hope you can make some money with it, too.

As for the graphics: You might be right, it might be more a question of choosing similar colour rather than the level of complexity. e.g. the 1Password example just uses blue and different shades of grey/black/while. I'm not gonna start counting the colours currently used in BM Wink

And still, I will keep on telling you, that for the avarage user, looks are so important. It's the first impression you get of a software and it gives the user a feeling of either the developer caring about his feelings (good looks give good orientation in a software) or ignoring the optical side (e.g. Windows, it's just too colored for me - makes me feel like I'm in Disneyland, where I definitly not wanna be, when I'm working!, they improved it a lot in Windows 7). Although you might consider it as eyecandy (which it actually is) - it's still indespensable for a broder sucess of your software.

Have a nice week,
FE

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #15 - May 3rd, 2010 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
?ô wrote on May 2nd, 2010 at 11:33am:
Your workaround tip ... worked flawlessly. ... So maintainance can't be that much work. Really hoping, you include this in the final release...  Cool
Well, the only "final" release is when a product is discontinued.  But it seems that this will be easy, so I've put this item on the list to be in future release.  It may or may not be after 1.0.
?ô wrote on May 2nd, 2010 at 11:33am:
did you ever think about getting different icons? ATM I think the ones you are using are just too colored and to detailed. Try reducing color and complexity to give the user a much better experience.
OK, I appreciate feedback from someone who appreciates this stuff more than I do.   To tell you the truth, more than once I have been left scratching my head when I read graphic artists debating about the aesthetics of two icons or graphics that look exactly the same to me!  I guess it takes a different kind of person, a non-engineer, to appreciate this stuff.  You know, if it works, I'm happy.

So, valuing your feedback, I've also put on the list to consider making the folder in the Content icon, the switchplate in the Settings icon and the paper in the Reports icon blueish instead of yellow.  I originally made them yellow because that is a more common color for real folders, switchplates and paper, but I see that the Finder, for example, uses blue for folders, so I suppose that would be more accepted.  (Actually, I didn't ignore your first suggestion.  The current yellow is not as bright as the original we had a few months ago.)

Now as far as the detail, I disagree with you, especially when I look at the 1Password icons.  Their keychain, the globe, and especially their analog clock are much more detailed than any of our three icons.  The clock shows all twelve hours and a second hand!  I think it's just the yellow that bothers you.

?ô wrote on May 2nd, 2010 at 11:37am:
Why is the help on the very left? The common place for this is top right
- Info and help go together quite well, why not put them next to each other? just put the help right of the info. That does 2 things: a) resolves the first point mentioned b) the icons look familiar - so let's group them correctly
- since now the left side would be free, why not align "content/settings/reports" to the left?
I don't really remember the reason.  Probably I was thinking of the Apple Human Interface Guideline to "balance" things, and I thought it would be nice to have those similar buttons on the left and the right.  Looking at some other apps just now, I see that you are correct.  Another to-do for the tracker.

Thanks again for the feedback.  Let me know if you have any more thoughts.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #14 - May 2nd, 2010 at 11:37am
Print Post  
To give you an idea, here's a screenshot of 1Password-settings. Much cleaner, better structure. Just looks nice.

Some food for thought:
- why is the help on the very left? The common place for this is top right
- Info and help go together quite well, why not put them next to each other? just put the help right of the info. That does 2 things: a) resolves the first point mentioned b) the icons look familiar - so let's group them correctly
- since now the left side would be free, why not align "content/settings/reports" to the left?

Just these minor changes would clean up your whole interface a lot! Just give it a try. Can't be that hard to replace those icons a little.

Good luck and have a nice day.   Smiley

1P.jpg ( 14 KB | 372 Downloads )
1P.jpg

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #13 - May 2nd, 2010 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Hey Jerry,

you made my day. This is the first time ever(!) (and I tried BookDog before, and I tried BookMacster since one of the early betas) that I managed to get all my browsers in sync on my computer. This means for me getting my firefox-bookmarks (as my main bookmark-managing browser) synced to Safari, Firefox (the Jon-Do-Fox version) and Chromium (the open source version without phoning google every minute).

Hurray!

Your workaround tipp:
"manually add a Client in the Settings ▸ Clients tab and then in the popup click "Choose File (Advanced)", select file format "Chrome", and navigate to ~/LibraryApplication Support/Chromium/Default/Bookmarks."
worked flawlessly. Altough this was premiere at least for planet earth.  Grin

So maintainance can't be that much work. Really hoping, you include this in the final release...  Cool

Although BookMacster looks much better than Bookdog and although I'm repeating myself: did you ever think about getting different icons? ATM I think the ones you are using are just too colored and to detailed. Try reducing color and complexity to give the user a much better experience. I know - this is only eye-candy but in german there's a saying: "The eye is also eating too" meaning it also matters, how your foods looks, besides the taste. I think that also applies to your software.

Setup.jpg ( 75 KB | 381 Downloads )
Setup.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint